What is the Qur’an? – Discover the main precepts of the Quran
The Qur’an is the holy book of Islam and It is considered as the word of God. It is a spiritual and moral guide for Muslims around the world and is used in daily prayer and worship. It contains many teachings on faith, morality, history and law, being a compilation of important precepts of spiritual orientation for Muslims and one of the fundamental sources of the religious order of Islam.
Concept and meaning of the Qur’an
It is the holy bible of Islam and the word of God revealed to the prophet Muhammad through the angel Gabriel over a period of 23 years. In its historical context it is considered the final and comprehensive guide for Muslims regarding their faith, beliefs and religious practices.
This one is found divided into 114 chapters and each one, in turn, is divided into verses. These cover a wide variety of topics, including the creation of the universe, morality, justice, prayer, charity, fasting, pilgrimage, the history of the prophets, and the afterlife.
Muslims believe that the Qur’an is the exact word of God and, therefore, cannot be modified or altered no way. Reading and studying it is fundamental in the life of a Muslim and is considered an act of worship and a way of getting closer to God.
Also he is known for his poetic prose and its literary beauty, which makes it a work of art in itself. It has been translated into many languages and has influenced literature, art, and culture throughout the world.
What is the Qur’an about?
This draws on a wide variety of themes that are important for life and faith of the Muslims. Mentioned below are some of the main topics covered in the Qur’an:
- Belief in one God: This teaches the conviction of a single creator called ‘Allah’ in Arabic. He is seen as the supreme being and sustainer of the universe and the source of goodness and justice.
- morality: The Qur’an teaches the importance of ethics and the behavior fair in all situations. Muslims are encouraged to be honest, kind and generous in their actions and relationships.
- The sentence: The Qur’an establishes the importance of prayer and worship of God as an integral part of the life of a Muslim. It is expected that pray five times a day heading towards the Kaaba in the holy city of Mecca.
- The charity: Quran emphasizes the importance of solidarity and help the homeless. Muslims are encouraged to ‘give’ regularly to the poor and needy.
- fasting: The Qur’an establishes the month of breakfast abstinence, called Ramadan, during which Muslims abstain from food and drink from sunrise to sunset. Fasting is done as an act of worship and to demonstrate self-control and compassion towards the underprivileged.
- the pilgrimage: The Koran establishes the obligation to make the religious journey to Mecca, called Hajj, at least once in the life of a Muslim if possible. The pilgrimage is a act of worship that aims to draw closer to God and unite all believers in equality and humility.
- The story of the prophets: Quran narrates the stories of various followers, including Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus, among others. Prophets are seen as role models in the worship of God and moral conduct.
- the life after death: Quran sets the belief of life after death and the final judgment. The believers are rewarded with ‘paradise’ for their good behavior and their worship of God, while the disobedient and non-believers are punished in the ‘hell‘.
What is a sura in the Qur’an?
A sura (or ‘azora’ in Spanish) is a section or chapter of the book that contains various verses or ayahs. Each one has a title and a number, and they are usually divided into particular topics.
These vary in length and content and are arranged according to their order of disclosure during the prophetic period of Muhammad’s life. The longest is the second surah, known as ‘Al-Baqarah’, which contains 286 ayas (verses), while the shortest is number 108, called ‘Al-Kawthar’, which has only 3 passages.
These are recited in prayer and are used for memorization and meditation in the Islamic faith. Each one has a specific purpose and message that addresses believers and provides guidance and inspiration for their lives.
Some best known suras from the Qur’an include:
- Al Fatiha: It is considered as the ‘opening’ of the Qur’an and is recited in every daily prayer.
- Al Baqarah: is the longer and focuses on the belief in one God and the importance of justice and morality.
- Ali ‘Imran: Tells the story of the prophets, including Jesus and John the Baptist.
- An-Nisa: it focuses on Justice and equality between men and women.
- Al-Ma’ida: Talk about the importance of charity and prohibition of certain foods.
Where in the Qur’an does it say that God is proud?
There is actually no passage in the Qur’an that describes God as ‘arrogant’. In fact, in Islam, arrogance or excessive pride are considered a sin and a negative trait to be avoided.
God is described in the Qur’an as a supreme being who is merciful, almighty, wise and compassionate. The Qur’an presents God as the creator of the universe and the sustainer of all creation, and focuses on the transcendence of humility with and before God.
The Islam emphasizes the relevance of recognize the greatness of God and the smallness of the human being in comparison. This is reflected in the practice of bowing and prostrating in prayer as a sign of submission and reverence to God.
What religion is the Qur’an based on?
It is based on Islamic doctrine. The Islam It is a monotheistic dogma that is based on the belief of Allah, on the life and teachings of the Prophet Muhammad, who is considered the last messenger sent by God to guide humanity.
The Qur’an contains the basics of Islamic faith and practice. Muslims believe that the Qur’an is the word of God without changes or errors, being considered a complete guide to lifewhich includes the belief in life after death, the virtue of charity and justice, the need for prayer and meditation, and other teachings.
How is the Qur’an divided? – Chapters
HE distributed in 114 suras (chapters) which vary in length and contain a total of 6,236 ayas (verses). The suras are divided into two main categories: the Meccan and the Medinense.
- The mechanics are those that were revealed to Muhammad while living in Mecca before their migration to Medina in AD 622. These focus on belief in one God, individual responsibility, and morality, and their literary style is poetic and rhetorical.
- The medinenses are those that were revealed after Muhammad settled in Medina and became a leader of a Muslim community there. These focus on issues such as social and political organization, war and justice, and their literary style is more direct and legal.
Furthermore, the Qur’an also is divided into 30 Ŷuz (parts), that are used to facilitate their reading and memorization. Each ‘Juz’ contains one thirty sections of the Qur’an and is subdivided into eight pages called ‘manzil’, which are used for ease of reading.
Who wrote the Qur’an? – Author
The Archangel Gabriel is believed to have revealed the Qur’an to the Prophet Muhammad in Islam. It cannot be said that it was written by one person, but it was dictated to Muhammad, who in turn recited it to his followers and had it written on scrolls and other materials available in his time.
After Muhammad’s death in AD 632, the first Muslims who memorized the Qur’an and learned from it, called hafiz, they transmitted the text orally to the following generations of Muslims. During this process, rules and techniques were established to memorize and recite the Qur’an accurately and without errors.
Later, at the time of the third caliph, Uthman ibn Affan, an official compilation of the text of the Qur’an was made based on the scrolls and other written materials that had been collected. This compilation was called ‘mushaf’ and was used as the main source for the copying and distribution of the Qur’an throughout the Islamic world.
What is the importance of the Qur’an?
It is considered a sacred book and is one of the Fundamental sources of the Islamic religion. It is the word of God revealed to the Prophet Muhammad and is believed to be a comprehensive guide to life.
The importance of the Quran lies in his role as spiritual and moral guide to Muslims around the world. Through the study and understanding of the Qur’an, Muslims gain a deeper understanding of their faith and are able to apply its teachings in their daily lives.
It is also considered a source of wisdom and guidance for Muslims in times of difficulty and crisis. Muslims often turn to the Qur’an to find comfort, hope and strength in times of trial.
Furthermore, it is used in daily prayer and worship by Muslims. the verses recited during prayer and is considered a way to get closer to God and to increase spirituality and connection with Him.